Folk religion
Alright...the theology degree in me rears it's head because I find all this religious stuff fascinating. I promise to deliver a post about all the Christian work we're doing, too, but I keep saving it to share even more of the conversations I've been having with the students.
Macau has the privilege of being a nation that China allows to have freedom of religion. Consequently, we are able to talk about Christ freely here. It also allows for a plethora of other religions to be worshipped here as well. For example; the word "Macau" means "the harbor of A-Ma", the local sea goddess. While Buddhism and Taoism are practiced frequently here, folk religion is just as popular. Worship of ancestors is also very common; why should they worship Christ when they can worship someone they actually touched or talked to? Our job is to set Jesus apart from these many traditions. The temptation also may be for them to include Jesus as part of the other idols they worship.

These little shrines/altars are EVERYWHERE. They usually appear on the outside of shops or apartments, and are about a foot high. Often they have fruit or flowers offered beside the incense because of the pleasing aroma to A-Ma or their deceased relatives.
These are the rooftops of one of the many shrines in the A-Ma temple. A-Ma was a human woman who now is a deity that rescues fishermen from Sea. Since Macau is an island, it makes sense that their main deity is a sea goddess.
A worshipper of A-Ma, lighting incense
This shrine was out by one of the stores I was walking by on my way to the English center. They are also very common .

1 Comments:
I love all of the pictures! They are great!
It is okay to not love some of God's creatures as much as others, especially mean boys;)
We miss you.
Cindy
Post a Comment
<< Home