The "foreigner once-over"
Today I'm going to talk about what I call the "foreigner once-over". It happens everytime I walk down the street, go into a store, move, breathe, etc. This is a humorous part of living in Macau. I have never been a minority--and so it is quite the new experience to be one. In comes the "foreigner once-over". As I walk down a street, perhaps on my way home, just about everyone looks up from staring off into space and gives me the initial glance. At first, it is just the natural glace the "let-me-see-who-is-walking-the-other-way-down-the-street" look. Then, nearly everyone does a little double take. Their eyes take in my hair first. I imagine their dialoge is a little like this: "Huh. Bright frizzy-ish yellow. Nope, don't see that everyday" Then, continuing their once-over, they take in the different color of my eyes (Blue--an unnatural color for this part of the world) . Lastly, as these differences all begin to register, they look me up and down again. And then we go on our way! Interesting, huh?

2 Comments:
ann, sounds like you're having quite the time! I don't know that i'd recommend buying the meat!!! maybe become a vegetarian for a few months!!! ;)Can't wait to see pics...
yeah here...its people do the "lets look whose walking down the street" look which ends up at about my adams apple. Then they lean back and see I am just your normal average run of the mill freaking hige gringo in the land of small brown people...then we go our seperate ways...
Post a Comment
<< Home