Clarifications
Despite the adjustment to the time change (exactly 12 hours), I have been seeing my share of sights, and enjoying myself immensely. I have not actually taught yet; but my first tutoring session is today. During the my first few days I have been meeting my team members, learning how to get around Macau, and enjoying the local cuisine. Learning to navigate around Macau, I should say, is not as easy as it looks. The roads are a curious jumble of alleyways and nooks; and the streets have generally do not form a straight line at all. Add to this the frantic pace of the motorists and drivers, and you have a pretty hectic traffic situation! The streets also often become one-way streets and the traffic flow is on the opposite side of the road, like it is in the U.K. Since I generally walk everywhere, though, my challenge is that all the streets seem to look exactly the same--all the store fronts have Chinese characters, and the Portuguese names are all very similar. So, in general, I walk around thinking that everything is familiar--because I've been through all of it before. The other missionaries pick me up and walk me back, etc, until I become confident.
So...now that I've been in Macau for several days (even though it seems like longer!) I have some clarifications for you all. Macau and Hong Kong are both "Special Administrative Regions" that are under the protection of China, but have their own governance. Because of this, Macau and Hong Kong enjoy freedoms in religion, and can express their opinions openly. For example, Hong Kong and Macau both had candlelight vigils yesterday to remember the anniversary of Tiananmen Square; but apparently there was none in Beijing. This freedom brings me full circle to my job here. Teaching English/having Bible classes in Macau are things that can be done under Macau's government without fear of persecution.

7 Comments:
Ann,
You sound like you're having SO much fun!! I've been waiting for this for 2 weeks now!! Hope you're having tons and tons of fun! Post lots of pics!!
beth
Hey Ann! Disregard my email. . .I didn't know how to leave a comment at first, lol. I hope all continues to go well in Macau -- that's awesome! I'll keep reading as I am able. Guess what? I'm getting married in September!
Hey Ann, Your trip sounds great. I'm glad that everything got organized and you were finally able to go. Steve and I with fam are leaving for MN tomorrow for some much needed R&R
Ann,
I can't believe you are half way around the world. That is amazing! I am at work and you are sleeping.
Anyways, my Mom is in Hong Kong this week. I will send her your blog website. I believe she sent you an email to try to meet up. Let her know.
Hope all continues to go great.
Cindy
Ann I am so excited that you are in Macau for the summer! I hadn't heard back on what you had decided! Just wanted to say I'm praying for you while you are in Macau. Let me know what is happening.
Hi Annie
Well I just made the long trip as well, getting into Hong Kong today. Flew Atlanta to Chicago to Hong Kong. We'll see how the adjustment in time goes.
So you are in Macau? How exciting. I wish I had time to come over and see that part of the country, but probably not.
I am in Hong Kong for a meeting that starts tomorrow Wednesday, at 2pm, and goes through about 5pm Friday. I am flying out on Saturday about 1:30pm. I am flying from Hong Kong to Sao Paulo. Alhtough it seemd like a ling trip here from the US, I think the trip from here to Brazil will be even longer. 11 1.2 hours to Frankfurt, followed by 12 hours to Sao Paulo.
I would like a chance to see you if it worked out - but I am not so feasible that is - what do you think.
Take care of yourself. Stay safe. And have a great adventurous experience.
Kathy
Exciting Ann!! I am excited to hear more about your experiences to come.....
Robin, who is at the moment in Edinburgh, Scotland
Post a Comment
<< Home